About my Blog

There is nothing better in the world than sitting down to read a truly amazing book. My name is Vicky, and I read books and write books, and I'm truly uninterested in a life without literature. Come talk to me about good books and the woes of being a writer!

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday and Review of Playing Dirty by Susan Andersen

Hey everyone! I am suuuuper excited to be back in the game with Top Ten Tuesday!! If you don't know what Top Ten Tuesday is, it is a blog meme, hosted by the fabulous ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish! This week, we are talking about the ten popular authors we've never read. Now, this is a hard one, not because there aren't tons of them, but because sometimes it's really hard to admit that maybe we aren't reading what the rest of the world is! (I'm a firm believer that if the rest of the world is reading it, it's probably worth reading. This is not always true.)

So, here it is, my list:

1. John Green. I am particularly ashamed of this for two reasons: 1. Because I know I am going to ADORE his books, but my emotions get in the way of me picking up books I know are going to rip me to shreds. 2. I have had a copy of Looking for Alaska on my shelf for over a year. Haven't picked it up yet.

2. Rainbow Rowell. I am also ashamed of this one because I know I'm going to love them. KNOW IT. But I have so many books to read before I can get to my copy of Eleanor and Park. I have to practice patience.

3. John Grisham. It's just one of those things. I'm not a fan of court dramas.

4. William Faulkner. This is embarrassing because I have a Bachelor's Degree in Literature. Not sure why it hasn't happened yet. I should get on it.

5. Danielle Steel. This one is particularly surprising because I love these kinda of books. Cheesy romantic dramas are totally my thing. I even owned a Steel book once. Never read it. I suck.

6. RL Stine. I find this particularly shocking because I loved watching Goosebumps as a kid, but I never read them. Not sure what that's about.

7. Dan Brown. This is one of the few times that I really wanted to balk away from something so popular. Usually, I go straight for the bestsellers because I know there's a reason they're up there, but I hated all the controversy and the crap that surrounded the Da Vinci Code when it came out, so I totally avoided it. Maybe some day.

8. Nicholas Sparks. My desire to avoid books usually has little to do with my dislike for the author, but in this case, it is a serious factor. I think Sparks is kind of a douche. Man, I've read interviews where the man toots his own horn so much, I'm surprised the thing isn't broken. Not a fan of his attitude.

9. Anne Rice. Always wanted to. I own a few of her books from the Vampire Chronicles because I want to get around to reading them eventually, but for now, I'm all vampire-d out. Sorry Anne.

10. Tom Clancy. This is odd because when I was little, my father read EVERYTHING Clancy wrote and then my sister did too, but it's just not my thing. I'm hoping to find one some day that appeals to me.

----

So, I finished a fun little romance novel today, and I thought I would share it with you guys:


Playing Dirty is the third and final book in the Sisterhood series by Susan Andersen. This one is about Ava, the girl we've always wondered about. In high school, Ava gave her virginity to the boy she thought she could trust: Cade Gallari, but he stomped on her heart. Now, more than ten years later, he's back in her life, this time as her boss, and he's trying to make amends.

I've been a fan of Susan Andersen as long as I can remember. I can't remember the first book I read by her, but when I was done, I immediately read everything I could get my hands on. While I enjoyed the first two books in this series (uh, hello, I'm pretty sure the second book is the reason I have a serious thing for sexy cops), this one didn't really float my boat. I loved the relationship between Cade and Ava. They were so cute together, and I loved how much Cade truly adored her. But the mystery that was going on around their story and the movie set just kind of bored me. Susan, I love you, but this one didn't work for me, which really stinks because I know how hard Susan fought to have this book published. I'm hoping to move on soon to some of her later books (or maybe go back to some of her suspense books), but I'm going to let this one go.

Happy reading!

xoxo,
V

2 comments:

bookmammalmusings said...

I almost put Faulkner on my list, but then I bumped him off for another author! :-)
I put off reading Eleanor & Park for ages because I thought I'd be disappointed after all the hype--but I was SO WRONG! It as one of the best books I read last year and helped me get back into reading YA again.

lillylilac said...

Good list, I love John Green books and I'm glad that you plan to read them also his books start off rather light and than eases you into the sadder parts. I also think that I'd like Rainbow Rowell but I haven't been able to read her books yet either.