About my Blog

There is nothing better in the world than sitting down to read a truly amazing book. My name is Vicky, and I read books and write books, and I'm truly uninterested in a life without literature. Come talk to me about good books and the woes of being a writer!

Monday, February 24, 2014

Book Review: Matched by Ally Condie + Music Monday

Happy Monday everybody!! I come baring a review, and this time, I have to try not to get all weepy on you! (I've been weepy since like, page 300 of this book).


Let me start by saying that it is going to be IMPOSSIBLE to review this book without spoilers, but somehow I will manage.

Cassia Reyes lives in a society where Officials decide everything: what you do in your free time, what you eat, and who you marry. Cassie and her family thought they were okay with this, until Cassia falls for someone who isn't her Matched. Suddenly, the control the Society has over everyone begins to wear at Cassia and her family, and it isn't long before the Officials find out that Cassia is hiding more than they ever thought.

I want to start by addressing some of the complaints I've heard about this particular story, starting with the fact that it looks a lot like the world created by Lois Lowry in The Giver. While I can see the similarities, I have to disagree. Sure, the world of the story looks a lot alike, but this story is not just about the discovery of the Society's betrayal, like Lowry's story is. This is a story about love and the different forms it comes in. Which brings me to my second point: the love triangle. I must say, I'm as tired of the love triangle as anyone else who's read YA in the last five years. But I must admit that it was done well in this story. In this book at least, this is not a story about a girl who is in love with two guys and can't choose between them, it's a book about a girl who loves her Matched but is dreadfully in love with someone who is NOT her Matched, the only person who really knows her, and she understands that going against the grain will her hurt more than just her and her beloved.

At first, I thought the book was a little robotic. But as it went on, and I fell so head over heels in love with Ky and with his beautiful love for Cassia, I really got into it. I read the book in two days, which is a little abnormal for me, since I'm usually too busy to put away books that fast. As it stands, I'm not sure how I feel about where the story is going. I'm a little afraid of what will happen from here, since so much has been put at stake at the end of this one. I am so glad that I wait for a series to end before I start it because waiting a year for this one would have killed me. This is a seriously emotional, heartbreaking, gorgeous book, and I am terribly excited about reading the rest of this trilogy!

----

Now, if you're interested in starting your day out with a little music, I would like to invite you to join me for Music Monday, where I give you a little recommendation about what you should be listening to this week! Today, I want to talk about The Script. I'm sure that by now you'd have to living under a rock not to have heard of these talented men, but the thing about this band is that, most of the time, their truly best stuff doesn't make it on the radio. For example, their album #3 is AMAZING, but only Hall of Fame has made it anywhere, so I want to share with you my favorite song from the album called Glowing. Without this song, I'm not sure I would be able to work on this book I'm trying to re-write. This song has inspired me. It's beautiful. Have a listen.



xoxo,
V

2 comments:

Dawn Embers said...

I read the book a few years ago for an online reading group I was trying to run. I liked some aspects of the book but for me, it was just okay.

Bit reminiscent of Giver but agree it's very different too. And my issue with the love triangle involves the results for the nice friend who takes risks often to no avail. But I won't say more on that. ;-)

I haven't read the sequel yet though, not sure where it will head after how the first one ended.

Vicky B said...

I can see where you're coming from with the friend who takes risks. I think that goes back to the many forms of love. Like, if you really love someone you'll do anything to make sure they're happy, and because Xander is so loving and so self-sacrificing, it makes the whole story even more heartbreaking. *sob*