About my Blog

There is nothing better in the world than sitting down to read a truly amazing book. My name is Vicky, and I read books and write books, and I'm truly uninterested in a life without literature. Come talk to me about good books and the woes of being a writer!

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Book Review: Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter + Birthday Book Haul

Happy Tuesday everyone! Welcome to my first official book review!


I just finished Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith. Seth Grahame-Smith knows something that the rest of us don't- In the journal of Abraham Lincoln, the 16th president of the United States spoke about the true reason that the country was being torn apart: vampires. When Abraham Lincoln's mother dies tragically at the hand of someone other than living, Honest Abe sets out to take revenge. What he gets instead is new boss, a vampire who understands the flaws of his own kind and is looking to control their terrible actions. So, he hires Abraham to be a vampire hunter, and history as we know it is questioned.

This book is absolutely astounding. I must admit that I'm not positive as to the historical accuracy of the dates and events involved, but I find it incredible that G-S was able to take what we know of history and twist it in such an amazing way as to make an already heroic man even more of a hero. Abraham Lincoln as a vampire hunter is pretty freakin' awesome, and I'll be the first to admit that I wish it was all true- that the disgusting ways of men were really the disgusting ways of vampires in disguise.

This book starts from Abraham Lincoln's childhood and follows his life until the day he is assassinated. It is inventive, creative, and absolutely unlike anything out there (although many many authors have attempted to copy this kind of storytelling since its release in 2010). I am so glad I finally took the time to sit down and read this terribly entertaining and gruesome novel, and now I look forward to seeing the film adaptation.

----

On to the real fun! As I'm sure none of you know, yesterday was my 23rd birthday! It wasn't a great day, but the amount of book haul I managed to scrounge together was outrageous, and I would love to share some of my awesome finds with you! Here is the list of fantastic novels I scooped up!

Guitar Notes by Mary Amato
The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May, and June by Robin Benway
How to Love by Katie Cotugno
Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George
Romeo Redeemed by Stacey Jay
Slam by Nick Hornby
Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler
Fever and Burn by Maya Banks
The Favor by Megan Hart
Just Like Heaven by Julia Quinn
The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory
Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin
The Kite Runner by Khaleo Hosseini
Late Night on Air by Elizabeth Hay
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See
Callum and Harper by Fisher Amelie
Stealing Parker by Mirana Kenneally
On Dublin Street by Samantha Young

Yeesh! Needless to say, I spent a lot of time at the bookstore yesterday, but I had a blast! Looking forward to reading these books and sharing them with you guys!

xoxo,
V

0 comments: